If a person is only a Windows user, he would rather not face the hassle of playing Windows games on Linux. But yes, if a person is a Linux lover, it will surely make him sad to dual-boot with Windows just for the games not available in open-source. Well, not completely but somewhat problem had been solved when Wine hit the open-source arena because wine enables user to play Windows games on Linux.
Wine is not an emulator, as said by Wine guys. Still we will call it as Windows’ emulator since it lets us play Windows games on Linux by making ‘Virtual Windows environment’ on Linux. Remember it is just an emulator which let us play Windows games on Linux hence, there may be difference in the performance and functionality.
Performance Of Wine Depends Upon Games
Performance on Wine basically depends upon the games you choose to play. Some works perfectly with Wine where as, for some you must know how to work your way in complete darkness when the video chokes out. So, get to know how to restart ‘X desktop environment’ or killing process, using console, by using keyboard shortcuts.
Some Windows games run so marvelously on Linux with Wine that it seems they are absolutely built for Wine. Star Craft and War Craft 3 Frozen Throne deserve their names to be mentioned. Games working perfectly with Wine are low on numbers, but it’s not a fault of Wine developers. Windows was never willing to run its native apps on open-source and same goes for most of the games developer.
Simple Process For Installing Windows Games On Linux Via WineHQ
Well, here is a simple process you can follow to make sure you don’t do anything wrong:
- First of all, proceed to Application Data Base at WineHQ (http://appdb.winehq.org/) web page. Check out the ratings and feedbacks of other users about the Windows game you want to play on Linux. It will be of use if you get to know about trouble-shooting a problem, in case you face any.
- Mount the disk containing Windows app to “/mnt/cdrom”, in whatever way you prefer.
- Start the setup of app with Wine, using command “/mnt/cdrom/setup.exe” would be easier.
- You might need to reboot the Windows simulation after the installer successfully finishes process.
- Run Wine with name of the app you want to run e.g. “wine ./.wine/drive_c/Warcraft 3/FrozenThrone.EXE” if you are running famous RPG DotA or TFT.
Get Acquainted With Wine
Now let’s get to know a bit about Wine’s functionality. Home directory for Wine will be ‘.wine’ located in your home directory and inside, there will be a folder named “drive_c” which works as your virtual drive C.